Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21

Today's Reading

2 Kings: Elijah finished his earthly life by continuing to stand against the deception of his generation. When he was taken to heaven, God gave extraordinary power to Elisha as the successor. Remember that Elijah joined Moses and met Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Also, you might be interested that some scholars believe the two witnesses who preach in Jerusalem described in Revelation to be Moses and Elijah.

Acts: Paul was created to be bold in the midst of conflict. Many of the places he went were "disturbed" by the Gospel. Many turned to Christ and many others reacted in anger.

Psalms: made, known and unconditionally loved by God. What a wonder!

Proverbs: left to my own devices, I am more hopeless than I can imagine!

And what do you see today?

4 comments:

  1. I guess I've never read the full stories of Elijah and Elisha (shame on me). They seem so capricious. I mean, shouldn't a great prophet be able to take a little mocking from some boys? Do you think the boys were just evil and deserved it? What about the 100 men that Elijah killed just for following their King's orders? This just isn't how I imagine a great prophet acting, you know??????? It reminds me more of the stories of the Greek Gods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Acts 13:48 it says, "and all who were chosen for eternal life became believers." Is this another mystery of free will and God's knowledge of the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps 139:13-16 means so much more to read it now while I'm pregnant! How amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interest insight on Elisha and the boys. I have always just taken it that they were prophets and they spoke what God led them to speak. I still lean that way.

    Yes, re your insight on Acts. For those of us who lean farther in the sovereignty of God direction, it would be one of the many verses to back up the opinion.

    Amen on Ps. 139. Great time to reflect on it.

    Thanks, Julie!

    ReplyDelete