Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 3

Today's Reading

2 Samuel: I don't claim to "understand" the whole situation with Saul's family being executed by the Gibeonites so God would let it rain. The only way it begins to make even a little sense to me is if this was God's chosen method of bringing promised judgment on Saul's family. Even then, it's hard for me to grasp why.

We begin the history of the early church today in the book of Acts. Acts was written down by Luke, the physician who wrote the Gospel that bears his name. Luke was the consummate historian and told these accounts with passion and clarity. Today in Acts 1, we read about the choosing of one to take the place of Judas. If I remember correctly, this is the last time we read anything about Matthias, the one chosen. It makes me wonder if God already had made a choice they hadn't seen yet -- Saul of Tarsus, who would be known as Paul the Apostle.

Psalms: "my help comes from the Lord!" 'Nuf said!

Proverbs: certain verses spring into my mind -- it seems -- several times a week. This is one of them. I think of it often because I am tempted by it often.

What are you thinking about as you read today's passages?

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about Saul/Paul as being the 12th apostle. Good thought... Do we ever hear of Matthias before or after this???
    I, too, often think of this Proverb - It's a good one to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean here. With Matthias replacing Judas I like the process used by the early church. They set criteria and made a decision: they sought men who journeyed with Christ, they then created a short list, and then they prayed and voted. It's a simple and thoughtfull model.

    ReplyDelete