Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2

Today's Reading

Exodus. Today in Exodus 15:26 we discover another name for God. Remember, He revealed Himself to Moses as Jehovah, or Yahweh -- literally "I am that I am" -- from the burning bush. Now He joins the name Jehovah with the word Jireh, which means healer or healing. Jehovah-Jireh: I am your healer.

God's cleansing of the water at Marah is followed by the miracles of the manna and water rushing from the rock. Each has significant lessons. With manna, God told Moses: "They must realize that the Sabbath is the Lord 's gift to you. That is why he gives you a two-day supply on the sixth day, so there will be enough for two days. On the Sabbath day you must each stay in your place. Do not go out to pick up food on the seventh day." (Exodus 16:29 NLT)

In the case of the water, the New Testament identifies Jesus as the stone upon which our faith is built. He is the fountain of living water, made available to us by being struck on the cross. What are your thoughts and questions today?

Matthew. Today contains a parable plus Jesus' responses to two challenges. The parable of the great feast is one of my favorites. What do you think it means?

I often meditate on Psalm 27 when I feel fear. It helps me put the problems of this life in perspective.

Proverbs. How easy it is to be pulled down by temptation!

I look forward to your input.

5 comments:

  1. Even after doing the One In A Million study last fall, which was all about Israel's journey to the promise land, I Still find some new element I'd never thought about before! Today it struck me that God didn't provide water or food until they asked for it. Unfortunately they waited until they were dieing to ask/complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many times I find myself disappointed that God didn't provide something when I never even asked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again you uncovered hidden treasure that teaches us a life lesson, Julie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to have a Climbing buddy! Thank you Sam. Is anyone else out there climbing with us?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wondered the same thing. Some follow by email and aren't a part of the comments section.

    ReplyDelete