Sunday, February 5, 2012

February 5

Today's Reading

Exodus. When I read this very long list of rules, I feel a bit overwhelmed. No wonder Jesus boiled the law down to "Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." it strikes me,though, that this is recorded shortly after Jethro's exhortation that Moses train leaders who would judge the disputes of the people. These are the details they needed to do their jobs! What are your thoughts on these? Any questions?

Matthew. Have you noticed that Christians are often consider "extremists" and "religious fundamentalists" in our culture today? Jesus predicted it in today's reading. Indeed, we no longer have the "home field advantage" in this country. What are some of the things you have noticed in which Biblical values are classified as extremist?

Psalm 29 reminds me of standing on tall mountains and watching storms blow through below me. I serve the Lord of those storms!

Reading today's Proverb leaves me just saying, "Oh, my!"

There we go. Let's get the conversation rolling!

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about your question about what biblical

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...values are classified as extremist and I thought of all the regular things that the media gets a hold of and the things we Christians (unfortunately) tend to beat the unchurched up about and then I thought about what I wished the answer was. What if you asked strangers on the streets of Yuma what extreme values the Christians here were know for and they said things like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Authentic love for strangers, a deep spirit of generosity that compelled them to give freely, a love for orphans and widows that drove them to take the widows and orphans in and adopt them into their own family, a deep mysterious peace and joy that rises above their circumstances. What if these were the extreme characteristics that the unchurched use to describe us?

    ReplyDelete