Friday, February 3, 2012

February 3

Today's Reading

Exodus. Today's passage begins with a graphic picture of spiritual war. Joshua was down in the valley leading the physical army to do everything possible to defeat the enemy. Meanwhile, Moses was up on the mountain waging the spiritual side of the battle. You might be interested to note that Amalek does reappear throughout the Old Testament as a force against God's people. Like other elements of this story, Amalek was a historical reality, but also had symbolic significance. In the New Testament, Paul wrote about how (for the Christian) our flesh sets its desire against the spirit. Amalek always symbolizes the flesh -- a constant battle.

On a personal note, I have at times discovered what it means to be lifted up during spiritual battle. In 2010, our extended family was going through a great trial. I received an email from a lady who takes her role as intercessor very seriously. She had started to fast and pray for me and other leaders just before this battle heated up. Her act of service greatly strengthened me. Since that time, God continues to multiply the intercessors around our church and me. They are indeed "MVPs" to Cathy and me!

Before you leave the story of the battle with Amalek, notice another name for God. Remember, He reveals His character through His names.
What do you think of the counsel Moses received from Jethro? What about God's stringent requirements that the people stay away from the mountain while God and Moses met?

My heart is moved by the wisdom of Jesus in Matthew today. He was able to honor the precepts of God at the same time He was warning against false teachers and their legalism.

"I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness..." How does this Psalm speak to you?

I have seen Proverbs lived out around me many times. What a powerful warning!

How are you doing? Comments? I am praying for you!

6 comments:

  1. I laughed a little to myself when I read God telling the Israelists that he'd brought them out of Egypt 'on eagles wings'. I had to wonder if the Israelites felt that way. They were constantly grumbling about something or living in fear. Then I got to wondering why Gods perspective and their perspective were so different... Suddenly I was convicted about my own grumbling and fear. The Israelites, if they were like me, must have really struggled with depending on God to provide for them one day at a time. The predictability of slavery in Egypt and their set routines meant they knew exactly where to get water today, tomorrow, and the next day. They didn't have to trust God for it at all. I am excited to be on an adventure with God but sometimes I really struggle with letting go of my habit of trying to take care of it all myself. I want to go where God leads trusting Him to provide everything I need- no back up plan, no safety net- just the promises of God. Its scary and exciting all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah- what in the world does God is my Banner mean? Is this like a flag you'd raise in battle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, you did something powerful when you used your own story to reflect on theirs. We don't know where your journey is headed just like they didn't and we are prone to the same weaknesses they had. We have the privilege of living differently, if we choose, but we must overcome our desire to control all circumstances, giving every detail up to the One whose love is beyond our comprehension.

    Yes on the banner. But it's deeper than that. When you attend a Change of Command and the outgoing Commander hands the unit colors (banner) to the incoming Commander, the leadership of the unit passes at the moment from the one to the other. The banner represents that unit and is flown wherever the unit is in residence. We used to sing a cute little chorus: "Joy is the flag flown high o'er the castle of my heart, for the King is in residence there."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do want to give up control but it's so hard... I'm such a planner! When I read this story, I just know I'd be one of the Israelites complaining about Moses saying something like, "Really? You lead an ENTIRE NATION of people out to the middle of the desert with no plan for food or water? What kind of leadership doesn't plan ahead to ensure success? Seriously!" ;)

    Here's the hardest part. I know that if I didn't plan ahead to go to bed on time and set my alarm, I'd never be able to drag myself out of bed at 6am each day. If I didn't budget I'd spend more than we earn. If I don't plan my meals (and it happens frequently) then I don't buy the right stuff at the grocery and I have no healthy food in the house and we all end up eating junk. If I didn't have some sort of plan for which classes to take when, I wouldn't have ever graduated college... etc. The list could go on and on!

    How do I balance intentional living with living for God? I'd really love to have some suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your comment just before heading off to bed last night. I was tired and decided I needed a fresh brain to step into it. Here are a few thoughts...

    It sounds as if you are a planner by training and by necessity. That's different from naturally organizing everything. This certainly describes my personality. For instance, I read the Bible through each year as part of a distinct plan. I prefer it, because it gives me a means to keep on track. Cathy, on the other hand, plans and organizes because God designed her that way!

    You know that our strengths are also, at times, our weaknesses. Because of this, Cathy can put her task list above everything else in her life. She quit using the same type of Bible Reading plan as me; instead of liberty, it held her in bondage. She found herself reading it because it was on her list and she couldn't NOT do it. She found herself reading to check it off her list, rather than reading to enjoy intimacy with God. In my case, it's on my list because otherwise it wouldn't get done and I might forever ignore it.

    Does my last sentence describe you? It sounds like the description you gave in your comment above. If so, the one big thing I would warn you would be that you don't plan too much. Try to plan in such a way that you give yourself margin to pray, to read edifying books and to spend time with those you love. Enough margin will give you liberty to step away from your plan at times. You won't feel compressed by it, because you will have created the space for it ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creating some margin sounds a lot like weeding my garden- like we were talking about regarding the parable of the sower... :)

    ReplyDelete