Saturday, February 4, 2012

February 4

Today's Reading

Exodus. First, notice the graphic description of God coming down to the Mountain to meet Moses in today's passage. Then, get ready to be stretched. God gives commands about human behavior that is very foreign to our view of what is acceptable. How could He be giving instructions about the "right" way to treat slaves rather than simply tell them not to have any? When you form your questions and comments, fire away in the comments section below!

In Matthew 5, Jesus spoke a series of blessings (The Beatitudes) on people who live a pure and humble life. Today, he speaks the opposite to those religious leaders who make a big show of their outward life, but their hearts are far from God. What does this passage say to you? I'm not quick to judge outward religion because I can see way too many evidences of it in my own life.

Psalms. Today is a simple cry for God's mercy and protection, along with an exclamation of praise that He hears and answers. Look at where it lands:
Praise the Lord !
For he has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and shield.
I trust him with all my heart.
He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy.
I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. (Psalm 28:6, 7 NLT)


Proverbs. After a clear warning about the pain of immorality, the father again brings his child back to the value of wisdom as something to be sought after and cherished. You and I are the children!

I hope for some zinger comments today!

2 comments:

  1. I think it tells us a lot about the nature of God that in the middle of this long rebuke to the Pharisees, Jesus tells them he's longed to gather all of Jeruselem to him as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. I can really identify with that as a parent- its good to know God loves me so much, even when He's rebuking me for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Julie. Even at my age and stage of life, receiving correction is still one of the hardest things for me. I'm always grateful...later. At the moment it comes in, I am tempted to squirm, deflect, or become defensive about it. It helps that God has been so faithful with it over the years.

    ReplyDelete