Monday, January 12, 2009

January 12

Today's Reading

Today, Genesis begins with tribal conflict and shows how a covenant changes the situation. The covenant meal was in important part of the process. It indicated a brotherhood between the former enemies.

The second part of our Genesis passage is about another meal. It's also about deception and family rivalry. It was always God's plan that His people come through Jacob. Do you think He needed the deception that occurred in order to accomplish that plan?

Matthew includes several great stories of Jesus' life and ministry. Which one speaks most to you? Why? What questions arise from them?

Psalms promises that God knows the hopes of the helpless. That promise often ministers to me because I know what it feels like to be helpless to change some things. How about you?

It's as if this Proverbs passage were written specifically for our culture. In good times and hard times, God tells us to honor Him first with our finances and He will care for us.

I hope you will keep me up today with your thoughts, comments and questions.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pastor Sam, In the second part of Genesis the deception over the meal - perhaps God was giving Jacob a choice - deception or honesty - and his true colors showed through? So in response to your question - yes I think the deception was necessary.
    In Matthew 9:17 - when Jesus is talking about the wine skins - I am wondering if we are all sinners (old wine skin), accept christ, then baptized (new wine skin) - then perhaps our faith in God is perserved? michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    As usual, you provide a great insight as you look freshly at the passages. Yes, I think God gave Jacob a choice. I also think God knew what Jacob would do. However, if Jacob had done the right thing and waited on God, I believe that God would have made a way without all the consequences.

    I like your thoughts on new wineskins. I believe that it's a good general illustration about how difficult it is to change once we are "set in our ways." When we become a Christian, we receive a "new heart" and are willing for many things in our lives to change.

    Thanks, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Matthew, I liked the story about healing the blind. But I was wondering, why didn't they listen to Jesus when he told them not to tell anyone, especially if they believed in his power?

    The Psalm from today's reading made me think of a recent sermon that discussed that God stands up for his people..."comforted that he always listens" (Psalm 10:17).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your question, Kella, is hard to answer. I have always wondered if Jesus knew that they would tell anyway, but was trying to limit the notoriety He got when the word got around. He came to seek and save the Lost, not become the most popular guy in the land.

    ReplyDelete