Friday, January 16, 2009

January 16

Today's Reading

We read about a reunion in Genesis today. I was blinking back tears as I read it. What do you think about this part of the story? What must have been going on in the hearts of Jacob and Esau? What happened after Esau left?

The very next part of the story turns dark in many ways. How does it affect you? What do you think of what Jacob's sons did?

Your footnotes say that "Israel" means "God fights." I think another meaning is "one who strives with God." Either way, Jacob gives us another name for God: God, the God of Israel. God reveals Himself to us through His names. I encourage you to write them down and think about them.

Matthew is literally stuffed with important truth today. Jesus once again mentions Sodom. What do you think He meant with His comparison?

How does it strike you today in Psalms, when David says...

"2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on the entire human race;
he looks to see if anyone is truly wise,
if anyone seeks God.
3 But no, all have turned away;
all have become corrupt.
No one does good,
not a single one!" (Psalm 14:2-3 NLT)


Just how important and powerful is wisdom? Read a beautiful word picture in Proverbs today.

I pray that you each grow and find personal enrichment in today's reading. Questions? Comments?

8 comments:

  1. Christine here :) I loved how humble Jacob was with his brother Esau. It seemed to me that God gave Jacob descernment on treading lightly towards his brother. God must have softened Esau's heart towards Jacob. In combination made for a sweet family reunion.

    I am torn on how to feel about what Jacob's sons did. One on hand I want to grab pom poms and cheer them on. On the other hand I am appauled at their ability to create a diversion using circumsion to debilitate their victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually read the assigned reading for the day before reading Sam’s input, which I think provokes great conversation and deeper thought. However, I realized that I have read some verses in Matthew too quickly in the past, but this morning it really hit me.

    Matthew 11 :28-30

    28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

    I realized that I used to see this passage as yet another burden of following Christ. One that referenced prison and fathers turning against sons and brothers against sisters, so on and so forth… On the contrary, this verse is one of the most comforting and encouraging verses to cling to. I cannot imagine being yoked to Christ. I will strive for that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been curious about the story of Jacob wrestling with God. I know there is some deeper meaning there and I have heard several interpretations of it but none of them seem to make sense. The story is somewhat vague and mysterious. What is the significance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to wee that doc, Sam, but the link didn't work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've recently come to love Matt 11:25 "... thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way."
    It's so counter-intuitive and opposite of our culture, but I know I always learn the most when I'm truly humbled before God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, I removed that link. If you will send me an email, I will send you the info. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the reunion in today's reading to be touching...

    ReplyDelete