Tuesday, January 13, 2009

January 13

Today's Reading

What do you think of Genesis today? It's a story of romance. It's also a story of deception. I would love to hear from those of you who are reading this for the first time.

If you can take a few moments, read Matthew and put yourself in the story as one of the characters. For instance, imagine that you are the little girl's dad. What happens as you walk through the story? What do you feel? What are your concerns? Reading the Bible this way has helped me internalize it far more than I did by remaining detached as I read.

I love today's Psalm because it's so real. We can start a perfectly beautiful day and suddenly have things coming at us from all directions. In the chaos, it's easy to forget who is in control. What do you think?

Proverbs today fits the message in Psalms. How do you interpret difficulties? If you see them as enemies you have to conquer, you may never experience the full transformation of your character. If you learn to see them as friends that God allows because He loves you and wants you to grow, you will be amazed at how He changes you from the inside out.

Questions? Comments? Keep them coming!

8 comments:

  1. I love the story in our Matthew passage of the woman who had been subject to bleeding for 12 years. She said to herself, "If I only touch the edge of His cloak, I will be healed." She did just that - she came up behind Him and touched the edge of His cloak. She was instantly healed. I can almost imagine the relief and peace she felt once she was healed. What an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story in Genesis reminds me of an old Rich Mullens tune that says, "Jacob, he loved Rachel and Rachel, she loved him. And Leah was just there for dramatic effect. Its right there in the Bible, so it must not be a sin, but it sure does seem like an awful dirty trick." Its an easy trap to think that it must be OK if its in the Bible. Truth is, there are lots of mistakes people make in the Bible. When it seems like a dirty trick, it probably is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pastor Sam...It seems to me Jacob tends to be a "ME, ME, ME" person and does not seem to stop to think of the consequences of his actions - perhaps Jacob and Laban should have done that under thigh hand shake thing? Or maybe God wanted to help Jacob understand how it was to be on the recieving line of deception? Just some thoughts...michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Leah is there for dramatic effect, then I think Esau is there for the comedic effect. He just can't get anything right. I found it hilarious today as I pictured him going out and getting another wife b/c he realized his parents didn't like his current wives. REALLY???? That's your solution, Esau?? To just keep adding wives? How 'bout this one pops? No, ok, how 'bout this one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for great (and funny) comments today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Gen 29:11 Jacob kissed Rachel and then wept aloud- what was that all about? I feel like I'm really missing something there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, are you asking that question for yourself or your husband? :o)

    I think it's a beautiful picture of how he knew she was the fulfillment of God's promise to him and his family. His pent up emotion just rushed out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I read Psalms, I thought of someone who is struggling to "fix" all of the problems around them, putting out "fires". It is hard to see the big picture with so many distractions that take our focus away.

    ReplyDelete