Thursday, January 29, 2009

January 29

Today's Reading

The battle between good and evil heats up in Exodus today. The powers of darkness had long kept people captive in Egypt. One by one, God had Moses take on the spirits. Pharaoh kept hardening his heart. After all, his nation had built their whole economy on slave labor. Sounds like some countries in our world today.

Matthew begins with a beautiful story about children and moves to a very sad story about a rich, young man.

Psalms (I LOVE this one!) has 3 stanzas. In the first, we are reminded that God owns all. Then, we are told who may come into God's presence for genuine worship. Finally, we cry out in praise as the King enters the gates! Wow!

Proverbs contains a dire warning: don't cosign another person's debt. That is, unless you are willing and able to pay it off when they default.

How's it going? Surely you have some thoughts to share today!

2 comments:

  1. I liked how we read about the rich young man and then the next thing we read was Psalm 24:1 "The earth is the Lord's and everything in it..." The story and verse contrasted well and serve as a good reminder that God owns it all.

    And I can't help but love Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” 15 And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left.

    This is such a beautiful picture of who Jesus is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Lara, that image is so wonderful, and it teaches us a great lesson that we should have hearts like children, so innocent and wiling to believe with all their heart.

    I also like the passage about the rich man. What i get out of it, is that Jesus wasnt necessarily saying those who are rich can't go to heaven, He was saying that those who are unwilling to get rid of anything for the sake of God (for such reasons as just giving it to Him, or getting rid of it because it's in the way of your faith) it reminds me that it's all His.

    Exodus was fun today, also. It feels like God is speaking Moses to me, I've heard this story so many times, and now especially I'm getting this total understanding that God picked Moses to do great things, when Moses thought he was unfit! It lets me know that whatever God wants me to do, I will be able to do it with Him, when before I was always limited in my head at what i could do.

    ReplyDelete