Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20

Today's Reading

In today's Genesis passage, Joseph meets Pharaoh. Pharaoh was almost certainly the most powerful ruler in the world at the time. What do you think about their meeting and the results? The next chapter describes Joseph facing his past. He puts his brothers to a test. Your thoughts?

In Matthew today, Jesus uses parables to teach. What a great tool to help us remember. Still, we often struggle with the parables, trying to figure out what Jesus was saying to us.

Sometimes God uses passages of Scripture to open our eyes to "see" more of the kingdom of heaven. I think that may be what we read in today's Psalm.

Proverbs today shares a beautiful picture of the love of a dad for his son.

Haven't heard from some of you lately. How's your reading coming along?

6 comments:

  1. I get a bit confused when learning about end times. In Psalm 18, starting in verse 7, is David describing the second coming of Jesus or what the Kingdom of Heaven will be like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am by no means an end times scholar, Ranelle, but I tend to think of this as a description of God's ultimate judgment on the sin of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a funny experience while reading proverbs this morning. Randen came in and wanted my attention. I was laying down while reading and he was crawling around on my back. It made me wonder when we would have the conversation I was reading about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie where are you and others from before? I love your posts; they encourage me to think more spiritually.
    Anyhow, I love the Matthew scripture, because it has many meanings. Many folks see it as judgment and conviction. I think that is a bit negative, and we can learn as much from a positive perspective. I like to focus on the fruit. I think back to planting or seeding a yard or a field. You really do not know if it is a hybrid crop or a weed until it grows and shows you what it is. With grass type crops, you have to wait for the fruit (or Seed). Simply said, we are judged by what we do, or our fruit. It is so simple, yet so hard. We make the choices. We decide how we behave. We decide how to react . We decide how to respond when someone tells us bad news. I pray and struggle, but I can see my fruit and sometimes I wish my fruit were different. I can only thank God that He lets me see my fruit so that I can change. HE gives me another day to try and do it better. Enjoy the posts. See ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't missed a day!(: I've been reading to late to respond to some of those questions lately. I'll try to read in the morning or late afternoon. Thsnks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, the same for me. I usually don't get time until the evenings or nights. Later.

    ReplyDelete