Friday, January 9, 2009

January 9

Today's Reading

Abraham may have a new name in today's Genesis passage, but he's still up to his old tricks. His explanation at least helps us understand his cultural setting a bit more. Ladies, I know it's offensive and it was never God's design, but Abe had grown up in a nomadic time and place when tribal chieftains collected wives like they collected sheep. That in no way excuses his deception, but perhaps we can see a bit more of why he thought it was necessary.

You will also read a powerful story about Abraham's commitment and trust level. I think it's probable that he took Isaac up for sacrifice to the very mountain that Jesus was sacrificed on hundreds of years later.

In Matthew, Jesus reminds us that storms come, no matter how we build our spiritual lives. Why is it important, then, to obey? Look at the results for those who do and those who don't.

The older I get, parts of David's personality mystify me. He was a great and powerful king who lived in endless conflict (just like Israel today). He seemed to take every possible opportunity to proclaim God's faithfulness. See today's Psalm.

"Wisdom will save you..." So begins today's Proverbs passage. What a compelling reason to digest and live by the words in this little book.

On a personal note, life has been moving at interstate speed for me this week. I have read each of your comments and questions, often on my Blackberry while I'm on the way. I answer as quickly as possible and hope my delays aren't too frustrating.

In the meantime, your interest fulfills a joy in me. Thanks and please keep it up. Sam

6 comments:

  1. "Those who know your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You" Psalm 9:10. What an awesome verse to carry with me throughout the day. Keep seeking, fellow readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genesis 22:12 says "You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son." I think this is really interesting considering that eventually God Himself gave up His only Son for us. It is as if this story foreshadows God sending His Son for us. I am also surprised at how willingly Abraham obeys. He doesn't stop and question God, he just does what God says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to me that God, who knew Abe's heart, had him go through all the motions of tying Isaac up and raising the knife. Surely God knew that Abe would obey... so there must have been something that Abe gained by the ordeal, like maybe renewed faith to follow God's will and knowledge that the Lord will provide? I've got to wonder what sort of war was going on in Abe's mind as he journeyed to the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Abe tells his servants "we'll" be back. He went up the mountain believing that he & Isaac would both be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your question:"In Matthew, Jesus reminds us that storms come, no matter how we build our spiritual lives. Why is it important, then, to obey? Look at the results for those who do and those who don't."
    I like that the emphasis here is a strong foundation. While God will not prevent "storms" or difficult situations in our life, our beliefs in God will support us in whatever we face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great question, Kella. Obedience, according to Galatians 6:7-8, protects us from certain consequences. On the other hand, we live in a fallen world (we saw that in Genesis 3) and just being here subjects us to difficulties. As you said, the more we trust in God, the more we experience His provision for our trials.

    ReplyDelete