Friday, January 30, 2009

January 30

Today's Reading

As I read this passage in Exodus, I noticed the words: Pharaoh’s officials now came to Pharaoh and appealed to him. “How long will you let this man hold us hostage?" Isn't it amazing how God turned the tables on the situation? At the beginning, it was Israel who was hostage. Systematically, God tore down the power structure of the enemy. I think He does the same with us when we sincerely cry out to Him.

The passage ends with the preparation for the first Passover. Hundreds of years later, Jesus instituted the first "Lord's Supper" in a Passover meal with his followers. It is full of significance.

Matthew opens today with a story about work and wages. What do you think it means?

11 For the honor of your name, O Lord,
forgive my many, many sins.

From Psalms today, this is often the cry of my heart.

Ants can be pesky little creatures, but they sure are diligent. Proverbs tells us to notice and learn from them. After that, at least at my house, I put out bait to get rid of them.

Hope to read your comments today!

3 comments:

  1. The idea that God hardened Pharaoh's heart has always intrigued me. The Lord tells us why he did it, but it still always raises some mostly unanswerable questions in my mind about free will... Also, reading this passage, I wonder a lot about the nature of God when he kills all the first born on Egypt. I like to think of God as all love and grace, but he is also the God of Judgment and Justice... I wonder if any Egyptian families saw what the Israelites were doing and tried to copy them with the blood on the door frame out of fear of their God. If they did, were they spared? I guess the point is that I'm glad I'm on God's side.

    Matt 19 and 20 seem to contradict each other. In chapter 19 Jesus says that anyone who has given up something for God "will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life." But then in 20 Jesus says the Kingdom is like this vinard where, no matter how long you've worked, you'll all be paid the same. I've heard some people say that we'll be rewarded in heaven based on what we do here. For example, if I serve and spread the word here I'll be rewarded more in heaven than if I did the minimum to be saved. I know that Christianity isn't about the minimum and I try not to think like that, but what do you think about the idea that they'll be differences among us in heaven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the tough part about God hardening someones heart is that He makes them less receptive to get to the quick result. In some cases the person changes their mind when the going gets tough, but it is too late in some cases to merely change your mind. You have to suffer the consequences. It seems like, if you keep putting God off, He will make sure you receive the lesson you deserve one way or the other.
    There used to be a joke about two people who were not getting along. One of the people would keep pestering the other person to do something. The response of the second person, and the punchline was "I heard you twice the first time !!!"
    Sometimes I wished I had done what God told me the first time, I am positive it would have turned out better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, quite a bit is said about rewards in heaven. Some people are saved as by fire -- I take that to mean that they get in, but their works don't. On the other hand, the Bible talks about us laying our crowns at His feet. AND Ephesians 2:10 says that our good works were prepared beforehand (by God) so that we could walk in them. Either way, it's not about how much credit WE get.

    ReplyDelete