Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 15

Today's Reading

In Genesis today, Jacob says goodbye to Laban. What lessons and/or questions does their farewell bring to mind? Based on Laban's history, do you think he would have let Jacob go if Jacob had simply asked?

Later, Jacob prepares to meet his future. That means he must face his past and his brother Esau. Have you ever experienced a moment like that?

Jesus describes the steep cost of discipleship in Matthew today. How do His words challenge you?

Psalms describes times when we are hurting, concluding with the choice to trust in God's unfailing love. How are you doing?

What does it mean to embrace wisdom (Proverbs today)?

Yesterday, we passed the two week mark this year. That means we are already about 4% of the way through the Bible. How's it going? Remember, if you lose a day or two, just pick back up with the group. This is a life-long process.

8 comments:

  1. Sean here. In today's reading I like the grace example given by Jacob. Laban approached Jacob asking for a covenant between them and Jacob agrees to it. Jacob had already given a good portion of his life to Laban only to be mistreated; therefore, Jacob's acceptance of Laban's covenant offer is an example of extending grace towards those we may wish to "write off."
    Linking back to yesterday's blog, a key item creating this situation was Jacob's resolve to leave Laban's household. Only after Jacob left did Laban realize (prompted by God) that he had ill-handled Jacob's relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think was Rachel's motive for stealing Laban's household gods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about Rachel's motive. Perhaps they had some sentimental value to her. Perhaps she felt them necessary for "good luck." Perhaps she knew it would tick her father off. Can anyone thing of other reasons?

    Sean, I love your grace view of Jacob and Laban. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it can be very challenging to publicly acknowledge God. I think however through our own actions to other in a way we are acknowledging God. Christmas is a a great example. Due to cultural diversity and political correctedness society has taken God out of the holiday. Will Easter be next? It is time we not only put him back in the season but in our every day lives. Every day I am not quite sure other then how I mentioned in the actions and words we us, inviting others to share worship. I am not sure if God left specific instructions on that and maybe I missed something. If this does not make sense its because I really don't have a good answer so Sam maybe you can clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday, as I read Psalms, it spoke to me as I prepared for a court outcome for our foster child. I have faith in God's hand, and his will, but yet all day I still felt sick to my stomach and overcome by emotion.
    Much to our surprise yesterday, the biological mom announced in court that she desired to relinquish her rights and wanted us to adopt our foster child. I cannot imagine how she struggled with this decision, but I am certain that God had a hand in helping her choose what is best. I was truly humbled by this awesome gift. I hope that God will continue to offer her and her mother support during this transition.

    ReplyDelete