Thursday, February 11, 2010

February 11

Today's Reading

Exodus. The worship of the golden calf brought with it pagan sexual rituals and was abominable any way you looked at it. God's response was very strong. What do you think about it?

The next chapter is a powerful dialog between God and Moses. The New Testament tells us that God wants to have an intimate, personal relationship with you and me, too! I have ignored that opportunity far too often. I can't change my failures, but today I choose to seek Him. How about you?

Matthew. Proud Peter humiliates himself and greedy Judas destroys himself. I have, at times, been like them both.

Psalms. 10 The Lord frustrates the plans of the nations
and thwarts all their schemes.
11 But the Lord’s plans stand firm forever;
his intentions can never be shaken.
I cling to this verse today as our three nephews are being held, along with seven other American missionaries, in Haiti.

Proverbs. Do you want joy in your life? Find wisdom!

Take a moment and comment here!

4 comments:

  1. In Exodus today, the story of Aaron fascinates me. He is #2 after Moses, has just went through (in previous scriptures) a complete preparation for holding the office of priest and yet he leads an initiative to build a golden calf (out of gold from the people) and worship an idol, not God. I think this is a picture of how I can be at times. As I walk my Christian life and learn from God, there are times I choose my own wisdom, my own way, and seek after my own treasures, versus trusting God with the simple wisdom he provides on how to live my life. In Matthew today we see Peter's story illuminating a N.T. example of what Aaron did - essentially denying Christ (God) even though he was physically observing all that Christ was doing. What an amazing thought, to witness God as human doing miracles and then deny Him. Ofcourse, I see God's hand each day in His creation, in the blessings and provisions he provides, yet I know from time to time that I choose my way and deny Him. I am soooooooooooo grateful for God's mercy and grace when I step away and return to Him, even though he knows I'll probably do it again - that is Love and a relationship I am forever grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, Exodus. This is embarrassing to admit, but I have to read the old testament passages twice, once in NLT and once in The Message to make sure I understand what is going on. Why did the Israelites build the gold calf? Why did they tell Aaron to build gods to lead them? I know idolatry is alive and well in our culture, but the thought of worshipping something so obviously not a god seems ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara, if you had any idea how many different translations I look at when I study -- often trying to make sense of a text -- you wouldn't be embarrassed at all! As to the "why" question, they were in a polytheistic culture and familiar with a sort of "my god's bigger than your god" mentality. The Egyptians had been their master for 400 years and they worship gold calfs as well as other things. In this scene, they decided that the God of Israel wasn't answering their prayers fast enough, so they turned to one they hoped would obey them quicker. The implications to us and our generation are numerous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara-Don't feel bad. I read things over and over and over. I'm glad I came in late, you already asked my questions. Sam-you always make the answers seem so easy and obvious. I'm always asking myself, "Why didn't I see that?".

    ReplyDelete