Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3

Today's Reading

Exodus. Today's passage begins with a graphic picture of spiritual war. Joshua was down in the valley leading the physical army to do everything possible to defeat the enemy. Meanwhile, Moses was up on the mountain waging the spiritual side of the battle. You might be interested to note that Amalek does reappear throughout the Old Testament as a force against God's people. Like other elements of this story, Amalek was a historical reality, but also had symbolic significance. In the New Testament, Paul wrote about how (for the Christian) our flesh sets its desire against the spirit. Amalek always symbolizes the flesh -- a constant battle.

On a personal note, I have at times discovered what it means to be lifted up during spiritual battle. As I write this, our extended family is going through a great trial. I received an email from a lady who takes her role as intercessor very seriously. She had started to fast and pray for me and other leaders just before this battle heated up. Her act of service greatly strengthened me.

Before you leave the story of the battle with Amalek, notice another name for God. Remember, He reveals His character through His names.

What do you think of the counsel Moses received from Jethro? What about God's stringent requirements that the people stay away from the mountain while God and Moses met?

My heart is moved by Matthew today. What does it say to you?

"I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness..." How does this Psalm speak to you?

I have seen Proverbs lived out around me many times. What a powerful warning!

How are you doing? Comments? I am praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment