Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8

Today's Reading

Exodus. Today contains the "uniform" to be worn by Aaron, the High Priest (and each High Priest who came after). Each piece had significance as he represented the people before the Lord. The New Testament Book of Hebrews clearly points out that Jesus Christ is once and for all our High Priest. We are also taught that we --all of us who receive Christ -- become priests. What are you thoughts on this?

Matthew. Today includes Jesus' warning that people with changed hearts demonstrate them by changed attitudes. What is your attitude about those in need?

Psalms contains a picture of a life in constant struggle against an enemy. The older I get, the more relevant it is to me. We want a life free of difficulty and conflict, yet both are part of this world and a constant battle for us as we walk with Christ.

Hate. It's a strong word we rarely use to talk about the sins which bring us down. Proverbs uses it today.

What are you learning? What are you questioning?

6 comments:

  1. Wisdom living together with good judgment.
    Knowing where to discover knowledge and discernment.
    I need these things in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thread seen today between Exodus and Matt 25 - it is one of representing God. In Exodus there is great care given to the appearance of Aaron, in order to signify who he is as a servant of God; then in Matthew we see Jesus preaching about having our actions representing God by taking care of those that need us, ministering to them. Between the two, we can thread the idea of our actions glorifying God so others may see we are Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left today's reading with a lot of questions. I don't understand why the requirements for Aaron's dress were so specific in Exodus.

    In Matthew, as I read about the judgement I started wondering how a loving God could condemn people to eternal suffering. I know none of us is worthy, but I have a lot of questions about this. Why did God make us so sinful and unworthy and having the ability to be sent to hell? Why didn't he just make us good, so that everyone could worship God and be in communion with Him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara
    Regarding your last question...
    If you like to read, CS Lewis has some of the best stuff I've ever read on this. Mere Christianity is a great place to start. My short summary is this: If we don't have the choice to be good, then good is meaningless. Without choice we would be like robots performing the tasks we were programmed to do. God chose to give us the incredible freedom to choose good (him). But the choice to choose God also gives us the choice to choose evil. Ask yourself this: would life without choice really be life as you know it? I don't believe God made us sinful. He made us (incredibly) with the ability to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara, did motskrub's (try spelling it backwards) answer suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved motskrub's answer to Lara-it made perfect sense. I told my husband it sounded like a preacher's answer. That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete