Tuesday, February 16, 2010

February 16

Today's Reading

We begin reading the book of Leviticus today. Leviticus was primarily written to clarify God's law of worship and sacrifices. The priestly tribe in the Old Testament was Levi and the name is derived from their family name. Notice the number of different types of offerings and sacrifices. Each had special significance.

Mark. "Good is the enemy of great!" So goes the popular slogan. Jesus shows us today how to choose the very best, even when it means leaving many good things behind. One of the costs of responsibility is that we are often left with choices that will end up disappointing someone. Can you imagine how many people were disappointed when Jesus left their town to go to another?

Psalms. David seems to have the same insecurities as the rest of us. When trouble comes, it can be easy to immediately believe we're being punished for doing wrong. Often it's just because we live in a broken world.

How many of our movies justify the very behavior Proverbs warns us against in today's passage?

Are you behind? Pick right up with us along the trail! Please write your questions and comments!

4 comments:

  1. I find it very intriguing that the priests did a lot of "spattering" of the sacrificial blood. I understand why the animal had to be killed, but why the spattering of blood. I also noticed how everything brought before the Lord for the sacrifice had to be without defect or "choice". Each sacrifice was a pleasing aroma to the Lord. I want to be a pleasing aroma. Are my minute-by-minute choices the very best I can offer to the Lord? What about my motives for doing the things I do? Are they "choice" motives? Sometimes I think my motives start out as directed towards the Lord, but they sometimes end up being the result of pride and wanting to look good in front of other people. I wonder if the people of Israel struggled with that when they brought their best to the Lord for their sacrifices. Heavy questions that I need to think about today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranelle, I'm with you all the way on the "choice" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great insight, Ranelle. Thanks!

    Regarding the spattering of the blood, here's what I discovered. The burnt, grain and peace offerings were presented on the altar outside the Tabernacle. They were offerings freely given as worship to God. I think the blood was spattered to signify that all our offerings which meet God's standard are based on our standing before God. We can't present God an acceptable offering based on our own merit. We must be "washed in the blood of the Lamb", as the old hymn says.

    Tomorrow you will read about sin and guilt offerings. They were presented differently. I find it intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two books of the bible I have avoided my whole life: Leviticus and Revelations.

    I struggle to put Leviticus in perspective for my life today. I agree with Ranelle about the importance of giving our best to God, not our leftovers. What does all of this mean for Christians today?

    ReplyDelete