Saturday, March 6, 2010

March 6

Today's Reading

Numbers. Nazirite vows and dedication offerings. Ought to be some interesting discussion on these today! By the way, the dedication offerings from each tribe were the same. You have my permission to skim after you read one (that's what I do). If you prefer, you can read it each time and -- perhaps -- have it memorized by the time your done. Then you can quote it to your family at the dinner table!

Mark. Jesus talks about the future. Some of His words seem to apply to a few years after this scene -- Jerusalem was conquered and destroyed by Rome in A.D. 70. Other words seem to apply to the end of the world. I think the signs which he mentioned are intensifying. What do you think?

Today's Psalm speaks of death as a great equalizer. It sounds morbid, but we are all moving toward it. What does this do to your perspective about the prosperity of bad people?

Proverbs. I think today's verses mean that we will get the most out of life when we put God first. What do you think?

I look forward to your comments. Any questions?

2 comments:

  1. Numbers - I don't feel qualified to speak on the Nazarite traditions, as these rituals bemuse me. My only thought is that I am so very glad that thanks to The Son, I have been saved by Grace, not works.
    Mark - I agree with you Sam, that so much in this passage appears to be coming to fruition. I especially think of verse 12 - where "children will rebel against their parents"...we see many signs of children being taught to disrespect their parents, and to be encouraged to "teach" their parents the proper way to honor "Mother" earth - not God.
    Psalms - Verse 10 says it all to me:
    "Those who are wise must finally die,
    just like the foolish and senseless,
    leaving all their wealth behind." Why do we worry so much about death? It is God's will, and we will be glorifying Him forever and ever. I love life, but look forward to seeing His face, and truly do not fear death. As for my possessions and "wealth", it is all just "stuff" that I enjoy for now, but never miss when circumstances change and I must relinquish it.
    Proverbs - "The hopes of the godly result in happiness..." This phrase gives me peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are excellent insights, linnyjo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete