Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 9

Today's Reading

Numbers. Quail provided the meat and also brought God's anger. Why? Miriam's leprosy came as a result of rebellion, not against Moses, but against God. Why do you think she was made leprous and not Aaron? How do you think she felt during that week outside the camp, when the entire nation knew she was there because of sin? Twelve spies brought back a good sample and a bad report. Their fear laid the foundation for Israel to spend forty years in that wilderness.

Mark. I was impressed by Jesus' warning, "Watch and pray, for the spirit is willing, but the body is weak." I don't regularly pray, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one." I have prayed at times that God would protect me from sin, but not often enough, I think.

The historical setting of Psalm 52 was a difficult time for David. He trusted God, regardless of his outward circumstances. Lord, I want to be like that!

Proverbs. A call to humility and honesty.

Let us hear, Climbing Companions, how you are doing. What puzzles you? What delights you?

4 comments:

  1. I find it interesting where Jesus says to "keep watch and pray, so that you will not fall into temptation." I'd like to know what exactly He means by "keep watch." Does that mean to remove yourself from a place when you are feeling tempted? To actually not even go where you know you will be tempted? To go with caution? As you go, go with a prayerful attitude?

    It also touched me to read Jesus' desire to not have to go through the suffering, yet He desired only to do His Father's will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out why Miriam was struck with leprosy but not Aaron.

    The story of Jesus' last meal with his disciples and his time in the garden is not new to me, but I thought of some new things this time. How could Judas betray Jesus? How could all of the disciples desert Jesus after He was arrested? Sadly, when I think of this, I am sure there have been times in my life when I have been both a betrayer and a deserter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always humbling to read the story with Jesus identifying to the disciples that they will deny Him, and of course that Peter does it three times. To read it in Mark is especially impacting because we know Mark's information possibly came from Peter's testimony! So, this story of Peter is really a confession. I dig it; being transparent about one's actions is not only healing for that individual but speaks loudly to those who hear it. I'm humbled by this example. -sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of the above comments have great depth in them -- thanks!

    Ranelle, I believe you are "spot on" in your interpretation of "keep watch." I might add that we just need to keep our spiritual eyes open and not lose sight that we are in a spiritual battle.

    Lara, I don't have a quick answer to your question but I have a theory. Aaron, as High Priest, was judged differently. He was held to a higher standard (according to James). Spiritual leaders have to watch their own failure play out in those they lead and live with the reality of their failure as they watch others suffer. Miriam was held in a position of honor, but she hadn't received the place of leadership responsibility her brothers held. God's judgment upon her was more direct, but also more short-lived.

    ReplyDelete