Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 13

Today's Reading

1 Samuel. Beware of following someone because they use the name of the Lord like a good luck charm. Saul obeyed God when it was convenient, but the rest of the time he took matters into his own hands. Even as I write this, I pray for myself that my obedience to God is sincere and consistent.

John. It's not hard to imagine the intense pressure the religious leaders were putting on those who were impressed by Jesus. Notice today how they spoke to their own Temple Guard (could some of them be one who stood watch at the tomb?) and Nicodemus.

Psalm 109. Verse 8 was used by Christ's followers in the book of Acts as instruction that they needed to find a replacement for Judas, the betrayer.
Perhaps the whole Psalm is a picture of that betrayal OR of every betrayal we feel when a friend selfishly turns against us.

Proverbs. I think the "treasure in the house of the godly" can be other than financial treasure. It can be the treasure of faith, hope, joy, peace, and love.

What do you think? Do you have questions?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I got a little off track there, but I jumped back in today.

    Psalms reminded me that God works the most when I am "poor and needy."

    ReplyDelete