Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3

Today's Reading

Judges. As we near the end of this book, we get a picture of just how far the people went in doing "what was right in their own eyes." Today we see conflict between the tribes of Israel and how the strong ruled over the weak. We also see people holding to outward religion (idols, personal priest, etc.) rather than worshiping God from the heart. These were the very things God had warned about through Moses and reminded them of through Joshua. This all helped set them up for the troubles they would encounter in years to come.

John. This passage is so familiar and yet so fresh. Nicodemus knew the Law and the Prophets, yet he didn't know what it meant to have new life. It's not enough to know the Bible; we must be born of God's Spirit and made into a new creation.

Psalms. If, in an instant, you could step into a rain forest with the nearest human hundreds of miles away. If you could then transport to the top of the highest mountain and stand there. If, in the next instant, you could be at the deepest depths of the ocean and -- finally -- be standing on the surface of an uninhabited planet many light years away... God would already be there before you. That's what I thought of as I read today's passage.

Proverbs reminds us of how easy it is to ignore, criticize, and neglect the poor. God's blessing is upon those who don't.

That's it for today. What are your thoughts? Your questions?

3 comments:

  1. In Judges I just kept wondering why the Israelites continually built idols. I know that now we have our own modern day idols, but it all made more sense after reading in John that people love the darkness more than the light. How many times I have consciously chosen darkness over light!

    Psalms reminded me that everything comes from God; He is the provider for our every need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Lara. One thing I would add is that the person who has been truly born from God starts changing from the inside-out. We, in our deepest part of our being, begin delighting in God's ways (Romans 7:22). We are still tempted by the things that are found in the darkness, but we are more and more full of Jesus, the light of the world, as we learn to walk with Him. Imagine what it was like during His earthly ministry: people who were so accustomed to the darkness encountered One in whom was no darkness at all. No wonder He blew their minds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Pastor Sam! I am not a member of the Stone Ridge church, but I was searching the internet for people doing the same thing I was doing, and I found this blog. I also have a daily Bible blog this year, based on the One Year Bible. You have been doing this for years, which is amazing. This is my first year reading through the OYB. I added your blog to my RSS feed, and I thought I'd give you my URL, in case you ever want to hear a rookie perspective on the reading. It is bibleblog365.blogspot.com.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete