Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18

Today's Reading

1 Samuel. God had a plan for David and Saul couldn't thwart it. However, David had to be diligent to resist, run, and hide. At this point, Saul's insecurity drove him further and further into sin. The popular TV drama "24" has a character this year that is a disgraced former President. Every move he makes is calculated to bring positive attention on himself. That's exactly what Saul did.

John. An old hymn says, "Savior, like a shepherd lead us; much we need thy tender care. In thy pleasant pastures, feed us; for our use thy folds prepare." When you stray, when you feel attacked, when you are afraid, when you are spiritually hungry...let Jesus provide for you!

Psalms echoes Jesus' words in John (above):
11 All you who fear the Lord, trust the Lord!
He is your helper and your shield.



Proverbs. Perhaps the path of the upright is an open highway because the upright keep it clean!

What do you notice today? Questions or thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. "After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice."
    I've always loved the word picture that Jesus uses about the shepherd and His flock. The part that stands out at me is when Jesus mentions that the shepherd walks ahead of His sheep. So thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately the Old Testament has been so much more interesting to me- not from a scholarly standpoint- more like a good novel. Today I felt my heart drop when Doeg killed Ahimelech and all the other priests and their families. Saul makes such a perfect villain! I wonder why it's never struck me like this before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, my experience is that God uses His "living and active" Word (Hebrews 4:12) to meet us where we are. Each time I read through the Scriptures, different things jump out at me. That's one reason I believe that we should read every day.

    ReplyDelete