Saturday, May 8, 2010

May 8

Today's Reading

1 Samuel. Samuel grew up in the midst of corruption, but, "As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him, and everything Samuel said proved to be reliable." What a powerful statement. May people say the same about us!

John. Geologists tell us that a long time ago a river began to carve its way downward as it crossed a high plain. Over many centuries, that river created such a huge chasm that it is now called the Grand Canyon. I read this passage, aware that Jesus was carving a deeper and deeper gap between the beliefs of His contemporary religious leaders and the truth that God was giving in the Old Testament.

Psalms. How often have I doubted? How many times have I missed God's best because of my unbelief. Praise God that His faithful love endures forever.

Proverbs. I have struggled at times with worry and it makes me feel bad all over. Just like the verse today.

What are your thoughts as you read? What speaks to you? What questions or comments do you want to share?

2 comments:

  1. "Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment."
    I am trying to figure this verse out and weigh it against the fact that a person cannot experience eternal life with Christ based on their works. Any insight?
    On another note, I would love to be spoken about like Christ speaks about John the Baptist - to be known as a burning and shining lamp. I wonder why both burning and shining are mentioned? Lots to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key, Ranelle, is in verse 24: “I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life." It's erroneous to think that God's standard of doing good is the same as our. Our righteousness is as filthy rags. The water that flows from our flesh is sewer water. Only with the fountain of living water living through is are we doing good, when you think of it like that.

    ReplyDelete