Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7

Today's Reading

1 Samuel. My name comes from this heritage, for my mother was like Hannah: childless and offering to dedicate her firstborn to the Lord. Therefore, this story is extra personal to me. (I didn't know about my mom's commitment until after I felt God's specific call into ministry when I was 18 years old.) It opens a great history of Israel and her people.

John. Jesus' secret -- the way he knew what to do in each unique situation -- was to "see" what the Father was doing and do the same thing. One of the results of true spiritual growth is that we can "see" what God is up to more clearly and simply do those things. I am puzzled about what was behind it when Jesus later approached the man he had healed and told him he better quit sinning or something worse might happen to him. I wonder what was in that man's life that Jesus saw.

Psalms. God poured out continuous blessings, longing for His people to know and follow Him. It is much the same today, but now the Holy Spirit enters our lives when we receive Jesus and God Himself is leading us from within our own hearts.

Proverbs. Oh, how much damage is done by hot tempers. May God help us learn to control our tongues.

What do you see today, Climbing Companion? Do you have questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment