Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4

Today's Reading

Judges. It seems that this event took place early in the period of the Judges since Phinehas, the grandson of Aaron, was the priest. Every part of is presents a graphic picture of what life was like when people forgot their allegiance to God. What do you think of it?

John's testimony about Jesus today in John is very profound. He understood that Jesus came from above and lived on this earth as the Son of God. This verse particularly jumped out at me: "34 For he is sent by God. He speaks God’s words, for God gives him the Spirit without limit." John was the prophet who essentially closed the Old Testament and opened the New. In the O.T., the Spirit came upon people for specific acts of service. This new outpouring of the Spirit -- available to us to day -- was totally different. AND I sure need it!

Psalms. Praise the Lord! He is the great provider of all I need!

Proverbs. Plan to do good; work hard; seek wisdom. God will provide!

Your thoughts today? Questions?

2 comments:

  1. The story in Judges is INTENSE. Not sure I understand which side was right and which one was wrong.
    On another note, I missed the last three days because of a messed up schedule, but I'm so thankful to get back into the Word today. His mercies are new every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ranelle, you are right, that story was intense!

    I thought it was very powerful to see Israel unite against injustice and rely on God to defeat evil. After each failure, they cried out to God and he remained faithful.

    In John, this verse resonates with me "He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less." It is sad to say, but sometimes this attitude seems to be missing from ministry.

    ReplyDelete