Saturday, April 24, 2010

April 24

Today's Reading

Judges. Notice the pattern of Israel. They rebelled against God and God allowed them to be defeated. They cried out to God and He sent a judge to lead them to victory. They had peace, got prideful, rebelled and started the process over again. I have repeated this pattern in my life way too many times!

Luke. It has been a while since I pondered Jesus words to Simon Peter in today's reading. "Satan has asked..." Later this year we will read how Satan asked for permission to test Job and God granted it. It's amazing that God allows these things. Then, when we see the results, we understand how God uses the tests to grow us. He grew Peter and used him to strengthen his brothers, just as Jesus prayed.

Psalms. The godly will flourish like palm trees. We have seen palm trees withstand torrid heat and wind that blows trucks over. What a description!

Proverbs. Build your home (doesn't say "your house"); fear the Lord. Simple, profound steps to success.

What do you see? What leaves you scratching your head?

3 comments:

  1. "But the godly will flourish like palm trees
    and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon.
    For they are transplanted to the Lord’s own house.
    They flourish in the courts of our God.
    Even in old age they will still produce fruit;
    they will remain vital and green.
    They will declare,
    'The Lord is just!
    He is my rock!
    There is no evil in him!'

    This is an awesome word picture. I love to think of myself as flourishing and growing strong. I've been transplanted to the Lord's own house!! I'm flourishing in the courts of my Lord. Even when I'm old, I will still produce fruit, remaining vital and green (it's not easy being green :) I will declare that the Lord is just . . . He is my rock . . . there is no evil in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your personalization really ministered to my soul. Thanks, Ranelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cycle the Israelites live in of following God, rebelling against God, disaster, crying out to God, repeat, is oddly familiar to me....because much of my Christian walk has been characterized by this kind of a cycle.

    ReplyDelete