Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30

Today's Reading

Judges. As you read the tragic account of Jephthah today, remember the theme of the book: "everyone did what was right in his own eyes." The results sort of fly in the face of the humanistic idea that people are basically good and will internally want to do the right thing.

John. The book begins with a declaration of Jesus, the Living Word of God. It then picks up the account of John (a different one) the Baptizer. I love this passage because it includes the verse I hold central in my life. John 1:14 says that Jesus was "full of grace and truth." That's the balance I want in my life.

Psalms. This chapter expresses a deep cry from my heart. In times a the most wonderful intimacy with God, words like this just naturally flow. Then, there are other times when I tend to run from Him as fast as I can. Oh, to grow more consistent in my walk!

Proverbs. Sometimes the saddest person around is the clown.

Hey, Climbing Companion, how's it going? What is encouraging you as you read? What troubles you? Do you have questions?

3 comments:

  1. "So the Word became human and made His home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son."

    Sometimes I get so caught up in life that I forget that Jesus became human and MADE HIS HOME AMONG US. This morning I was really thinking about that and I was feeling kind of jealous of the people who lived during Jesus' time and saw His glory. I would do anything to be able to go back in time and see Him. Then I thought of how we as believers today have the privilege of having Christ make His home in us. What a glorious blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that when I don't start my day with "Climbing Companions", the day is truly lacking. I am most at peace when I rise up early in order to have my quiet time with Him (and consequently with my fellow "...Companions.") I find that with this tool, I have become more disciplined in my personal walk. Thank you Sam, for presenting us with this wonderful way to begin our day in Him. I also really look forward to not only your insightful commentary, but the personal insights of fellow Companions such as Ranelle, Lara, Sean, Roberta and others. Thank you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 101 was so powerful, I read it twice. After reading I thought, "That's the kind of life God wants His people to live!" It seemed so different from how I often live though.

    ReplyDelete