Monday, February 2, 2009

February 2

Today's Reading

Today in Exodus 15:26 we discover another name for God. Remember, He revealed Himself to Moses as Jehovah, or Yahweh -- literally "I am that I am" -- from the burning bush. Now He joins the name Jehovah with the word Jireh, which means healer or healing. Jehovah-Jireh: I am your healer.

God's cleansing of the water at Marah is followed by the miracles of the manna and water rushing from the rock. What are your thoughts and questions today?

Matthew today contains a parable plus Jesus' responses to two challenges. The parable of the great feast is one of my favorites. What do you think it means?

I often meditate on Psalm 27 when I feel fear. It helps me put the problems of this life in perspective.

How easy it is to be pulled down by temptation. That's the basis for Proverbs today.

I look forward to your input.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that the parable of the great feast has to do with the Jews and the Gentiles. The Jews ignored the invitation to the great feast (end times). Not only did they ignore the Lord's invitation, they mistreated those who brought them the invitation (the disciples and those who tried to witness to them after that) Jesus then states that the Lord extends the invitation to anyone - the Gentiles. Now, once all the newly invited guests are in the wedding hall (the wedding is for Jesus and the church), the Lord notices a guest who is not wearing wedding clothes - that would be someone who thought he could just get into the wedding without changing into his wedding clothes (i.e. the robe of Christ's righteousness). The Lord then says for that guest to be thrown into the darkness. The moral of the story . . . make sure you have accepted Christ. You will then be covered with His robe of righteousness and be a welcome guest at the Lord's table when that time comes. What do you think?>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the imagery in Ps 27:
    "...live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord’s perfections and meditating in his Temple. For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the story of God sending Manna is a wonderful example of God's provision. It is interesting how the Israelites were only supposed to gather enough for that day (with the exception of the Sabbath):
    19 Then Moses told them, “Do not keep any of it until morning.” 20 But some of them didn’t listen and kept some of it until morning. But by then it was full of maggots and had a terrible smell. Moses was very angry with them.

    I think God did this so that the had to rely on Him anew everyday, rather than storing up large amounts of it and forgetting that God was the one who provided for them. It is as if God forced them to trust in Him every single day.

    ReplyDelete