Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 3

Today's Reading

Exodus begins today with a graphic picture of spiritual war. Joshua was down in the valley leading the physical army to do everything possible to defeat the enemy. Meanwhile, Moses was up on the mountain waging the spiritual side of the battle. You might be interested to note that Amalek does reappear throughout the Old Testament as a force against God's people. Like other elements of this story, Amalek was a historical reality, but also had symbolic significance. In the New Testament, Paul wrote about how (for the Christian) our flesh sets its desire against the spirit. Amalek always symbolizes the flesh -- a constant battle.

Before you leave the story of the battle with Amalek, notice another name for God. Remember, He reveals His character through His names.

What do you think of the counsel Moses received from Jethro? What about God's stringent requirements that the people stay away from the mountain while God and Moses met?

My heart is moved by Matthew today. What does it say to you?

"I am confident I will see the Lord's goodness..." How does this Psalm speak to you?

I have seen Proverbs lived out around me many times. What a powerful warning!

How are you doing? Comments? I am praying for you!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the reading in Exodus today. It is full! Jethro's advice to Moses was so wise. He was teaching Moses good leadership skills. Also, in the very last verses of our Exodus reading, the LORD tells Moses that He is going to come to Moses in a dense cloud, "so that the people will hear me speaking with you and will always put their trust in you." The LORD was protecting Moses. I love that. He cares so much for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Jethro suggested to divide up the load it sort of reminds me of small groups in our church. We don't always need the pastor to minister to us. We can receive fulfillment and minister to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heather on Jethro's advice to Moses. It reminded me of deacons in a church. Every member is assigned to a deacon to call upon when counsel is needed. I personally like to go to my pastor, but I know he can't always be there. Small groups are great also to go to for counsel and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew 23:1-4 makes me think how embarrassing the Pharisees must have been. There are not too many ways to interpret

    "3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach."

    It reminds me that people watch Christians, and you may actually have an affect on someone's spiritual journey by turning them away from Christ. Let's face it, I have known Christians that make me not want to go to their church, so I assume it could take the next step. The next step in my mind is when a mis-behaved Christian could turn people off from church, God, salvation, or Christ. I am not going down the free will or predestined road, I am just thinking out loud.

    I pray that I am aware of what is at stake. This is spiritual warfare, and Satan is very good at what he does.

    ReplyDelete