Saturday, February 7, 2009

February 7

Today's Reading

I am one of those people who, when all else fails, finally reads the instruction manual. That is, until it comes to putting together a somewhat complicated piece of equipment or furniture. Some time ago that was the case with a fairly large, complex exercise machine. It arrived in something like seven different boxes! I suddenly became very particular about taking inventory of all the tiny parts before I followed the construction steps to the letter.

I thought of that experience when I read Exodus today. This is not a fun passage for me because it doesn't fit the way I think. Over the years, though, I have noticed that people have taken this set of instructions a built a reproduction of the Tabernacle.

What does this passage say to you?

Matthew today consists of two memorable parables (stories) of Jesus. What does each mean to you?

I have noticed that I'm more casual about how much I need God when everything is going well. Today's Psalm says He is our Rock, our Fortress. That's true every day. What does it say to you today?

Proverbs: oh, how wisdom cries to our hearts, longing for us to hear! Am I listening? Are you?

I await your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. This year we are reading the Message version of the Bible and in Exodus 26:14, it mentions the tent covering to be made out of dolphins skins. However the NLT mentions using goatskin leather. Why such a disparity between versions? It doesn't seem likely that the Israelites would have had much access to dolphins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M & M, I did a quick search on this using a Hebrew dictionary. The word in question is of uncertain origin, but is always translated "porpoise" each time it appears in the New American Standard, which is considered the most literally accurate English translation at this time. It might refer to some other animal skin, but that's the best they seem to have in translating it.

    ReplyDelete