Saturday, February 21, 2009

February 21

Today's Reading

Leviticus today contains some of the health laws God gave His people to keep them physically healthy. Some research has shown the benefits of these. A great book on the food subject is called The Maker's Diet. Hmmm. I wonder if kosher markets are selling locusts and beans instead of pork and beans.

Can anyone doubt the compassion of Jesus after reading Mark today?

Paul wrote in Romans that we should not be conformed to this world. The first time we commit a heinous sin -- something which deeply violates our own conscience -- we can feel exactly like what this Psalm says. I have been there. Have you?

I want to always be open to instruction. That's because I believe Proverbs.

Fire away, you guys. I love your insights and ponder your questions.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder why the story of a bleeding woman touches me so much? Maybe it's because she was bleeding for 12 years!! She had suffered a "great deal" under many doctors and she had spent all that she had - yet she grew worse. When Mark mentions that she thought, "If I just touch His clothes, I will be healed," I want to cry. Immediately (one of Mark's favorite words) her bleeding stopped and she was freed from her suffering. I think this is my favorite New Testament story. I can almost feel her desperation and then the peace that flowed over her when she realized that she was freed from her suffering. This represents even more than just a physical suffering. I have suffered before from bitterness, unforgiveness, anger . . . and then felt the freedom as God guided me through letting it all go. What freedom there is in my walk with Christ. The other day a little boy that I carpool with wanted to know what slavery to Christ meant. It was awesome to explain to Him that our slavery to Christ is a freeing thing. No more slavery to sin, but our choosing to be slaves of Christ actually frees us to have life abundantly. The story in Mark represents the relief that Christ's freedom brings to my soul. What a Saviour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ranelle. As usual, I am touched by your compassionate insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Maker's Diet is really insightful, and following many of its principles has turned my life and health around. A lot of people get intimidated by it, but I just took it one step at a time and gave myself a lot of grace to make the sorts of changes my diet required.

    It's easy to pass over Levitical laws and think they don't really apply. But there's a lot of wisdom in trying to treat our bodies like the temples they are. In the end, God's always good and faithful.

    ReplyDelete