Thursday, February 5, 2009

February 5

Today's Reading

When I read this very long list of rules in Exodus, I feel a bit overwhelmed. No wonder Jesus boiled the law down to "Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." What are your thoughts on these? Any questions?

Have you noticed that Christians are often consider "extremists" and "religious fundamentalists" in our culture today? Jesus predicted it in today's Matthew reading.

Psalm 29 reminds me of standing on tall mountains and watching storms blow through below me.

Reading today's Proverb leaves me just saying, "Oh, my!"

There we go. Let's get the conversation rolling!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Matthew today. I often grow annoyed with Christians who try to prophesy the end times. I think we should trust in God, let Him come at the appointed time and just live our lives for Him until then. It does disturb me a little to read about people becoming more and more evil because I see that happening in our culture. What Sam said is true, and I think that if people live by a certain standard they are thought of as rigid fundamentalists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara, enjoyed your comments.
    For me, Psalm 29 is definitely a powerful description. So much emphasis was placed relating a strong voice and destructive natural events. Two things people understood in OT days, the authority of a loud voice and the destruction of a storm splitting trees.

    A voice was always listened to, since it was the only way to tell the news in an efficient manner. A loud deep voice that carried great distances usually belonged to someone with authority, or to someone with news. ( or so I recall from some previous reads)

    ReplyDelete