Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17

Today's Reading

1 Kings. 3 So Ahab summoned Obadiah, who was in charge of the palace. (Obadiah was a devoted follower of the Lord. I hope that verse will bring encouragement to those of you who serve our nation, often being placed among people who are our leaders and who are far from God. God always has a purpose for His people whom He so places.

This had to be the emotional high point of Elijah's ministry. Tomorrow we will see him at his emotional low point. I have learned more about walking with God from the latter than from the former.

Acts. I often wondered why the story of Peter's experience with Cornelius' house is told twice in it's entirety. I'm convinced it was to help those who would struggle with the idea that the Gospel was for Gentiles as well as for Jews. It seems that the power of racial prejudice must be attacked fiercely to bring it down.

Psalms. Verse 18 says, "And those who make idols are just like them, as are all who trust in them." I try to remember this as I dwell in a time and place when the idols are riches and possessions.

Proverbs. Unlike yesterday, today's Proverbs are simple (and very profound).

Your thoughts? Do you have questions today?

2 comments:

  1. This passage in Psalms speaks so much to where our society is. Idolatry is everywhere. We worship the god of stuff. Even within the Christian church it is rampant.

    The idols of the nations are merely things of silver and gold,
    shaped by human hands.
    16 They have mouths but cannot speak,
    and eyes but cannot see.
    17 They have ears but cannot hear,
    and noses but cannot smell.
    18 And those who make idols are just like them,
    as are all who trust in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Kings – Elijah was a bad dude. He was so against bearing false prophecy that he killed the false prophets. He was definitely not a comforter but a confronter. One aspect of Elijah’s ministry that I find ironic was his decision to carry out his ministry for God alone. It is ironic because being a Christian is sometimes lonely…I take that back…it is lonely most of the time. He was afraid, depressed and abandoned. Yet, the Spirit of God comforted him. How beautiful is God and His desire for us to know Him.

    Acts – Barnabas was a true evangelist. He had strong faith; he ministered joyfully with kindness and encouragement; and he taught new believers about God. I need to remember Barnabas when I see new believers.

    Psalms – What types of things does God do today to please Him? It seems like everywhere I look I see pain and rebellion against God. I’m sure that there was the same pain then, perhaps even more so, but this Psalm makes me reflect on what the Lord does today that pleases Him here on Earth. Better yet, what do I do that pleases Him?

    ReplyDelete