Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7

Today's Reading

1 Kings. Because we live in a day and a place in which bloodshed is abhorred, it's hard to comprehend what Solomon did as he took control of the kingdom. I believe he had to take strong action or the nation was susceptible to anarchy.

Acts gives us a window into what life was like for the Apostles in the early days after Pentecost. What a movement of God! People were choosing Christ by the thousands. Many miracles were taking place and everyone was in awe. They also got a reality check as they faced the opposition of the religious leaders. Just a few years earlier, those Pharisees, Sadducees and Scribes represented God to them! Now the apostles saw them for what they were: empty, religious people trying to hang on to their lifestyle. You and I must learn from this!

Psalms. The Lord surrounds His people, now and forever! Hallelujah!

Today's Proverb is more understandable when paired with Psalm 119:59: "I considered my ways and turned my feet to Your testimonies."

What do you see? What questions come to mind?

2 comments:

  1. A friend (again at small group) talked about how she was feeling called to start giving more sacrificially; giving where her family wouldn't just give what was comfortable for them and keep the rest. I thought of her as I read about Ananias and Sapphira, and how they clung onto a portion of their money. I think this showed a lack of faith on their part as well as greed that we can all learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about this Gamaliel? Was he truly batting for the other team or was he a plant to be used by God? I love how he says that if this is from God you won't be able to stop it. I also think that being in the world, we need to listen for those times when God wants to strategically use us to further the kingdom; even when it's a not so Jesus friendly environment.

    ReplyDelete