Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28

Today's Reading

2 Kings. After generations of fighting other enemies, the Jews began war with each other. What a sad testimony. Yet, God gave both Israel and Judah strength to keep them alive, according to His promise. Conflicts in the churches during the New Testament era should serve as a warning that struggles come to God's people both from outside and within. It's tragic that some churches get so caught up in fighting each other that they are rendered spiritually sterile.

Acts. I love how Apollos was eloquent as a teacher, but humble enough to learn God's ways more clearly. After Paul left Corinth, Apollos stayed and the church kept growing. In 1 Corinthians, Paul rebuked the church for developing factions: "I am of Paul" or "I am of Apollos."

You might wonder about the presence of so many outward signs of the work of the Holy Spirit. Those things can be common, especially where God is giving the Gospel a foothold in pagan places. The emphasis, though, is always on the Gospel and not on the signs.

Psalms. May you and I acknowledge the Lord as our helper today. May we walk with Him and let Him use us in His work!

Proverbs. I want to be like Apollos (above) -- open to correction and not like the fools described here today.

What do you see? Do you have questions today?

2 comments:

  1. Last night Jon and I were reading about how believers should be desperate for God's power, given through the Holy Spirit. Acts today shows what God can do through people needing more of His spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalms 146
    1 Praise the Lord! Let all that I am praise the Lord.
    2 I will praise the Lord as long as I live. I will sing praises to my God with my dying breath.

    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete