Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3

Today's Reading

2 Samuel. I don't claim to "understand" the whole situation with Saul's family being executed by the Gibeonites so God would let it rain. The only way it begins to make even a little sense to me is if this was God's chosen method of bringing promised judgment on Saul's family. Even then, it's hard for me to grasp why.

We begin the history of the early church today in the book of Acts. Acts was written down by Luke, the physician who wrote the Gospel that bears his name. Luke was the consummate historian and told these accounts with passion and clarity. Today in Acts 1, we read about the choosing of one to take the place of Judas. If I remember correctly, this is the last time we read anything about Matthias, the one chosen. It makes me wonder if God already had made a choice they hadn't seen yet -- Saul of Tarsus, who would be known as Paul the Apostle.

Psalms. "my help comes from the Lord!" 'Nuf said!

Proverbs. Certain verses spring into my mind -- it seems -- several times a week. This is one of them. I think of it often because I am tempted by pride often.

What are you thinking about as you read today's passages? Insights or questions?

2 comments:

  1. That's funny, I often think of that particular verse in Proverbs too. Pride is ever creeping into all of my thoughts. If I actually dig deep into any of the sins I commit, it seems like pride is the root. Do you have any insight on that? I'm interested to hear what my fellow companions think.

    ReplyDelete