Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23

Today's Reading

2 Kings. As I read today's passage, I was again puzzled as to why Gehazi got no results to his petition for the life of the boy. Then it hit me: God, who sees the heart, saw the false motives in Gehazi. If he had seen the boy healed, he most likely would wanted to turn it into a profit-making venture. May my heart always belong only to God!

Acts. The Council at Jerusalem was one of the key decisions in the early church. Some Jews had been unable to imagine following God as Christians without essentially becoming Jews first. After deliberation, it was clear that the Gospel is for all who put their faith in Christ and Gentiles don't have to convert to Judaism before they become Christians. Notice that one of the two sent with the message of council was Silas. We will read much of him in the coming chapters.

Psalms. Verse 2 says, "Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering." I think it's easy to forget that God cherishes our prayers and our worship. I needed that reminder!

Proverbs today could easily be the front page news in our culture. We have become very skeptical of those in authority because of how common such things are.

Your thoughts? Do you have questions to discuss?

1 comment:

  1. 2 Kings – The woman from Shunem is a good example of being open and ready to be sensitive when God brings someone into our lives. Sometimes I am quick to turn away or shun a person who doesn’t quite fit into my little comfortable world. I pray that I will be sensitive to those who pass through my life – especially those who teach and preach God’s Word. (Ch5) Gehazi was just a simple business man right? Seriously though, Gehazi never had nice things. He saw an opportunity to live better. There was one caveat. Personal gain had become more important to him than serving God.

    Acts – Conflict resolution seemed easy in the early church didn’t it? Nevertheless, resolving conflict is an important part of a healthy culture and society. Last week’s sermon mentioned the importance of the Bible as a standard of truth. It points out our sins so that we can repent and return to God and right living.

    Psalm 141 – David’s cry for help is a passionate reminder of the daily spiritual battle that sometimes holds us captive. Yet, God is faithful and beautiful and He is our refuge. “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Gal. 5:1). What a promise!

    ReplyDelete