Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27

Today's Reading

2 Kings. Joash was committed to the Lord as long as Jehoida the priest was there to guide him. However, it was a grave sin to take the things dedicated to the Lord and use them to pay off Hazael, a pagan king. On the flip side, the priests were less than honorable when they took the money designated for restoring the temple and used it for their personal needs. Those are both great lessons to me.

Acts. Notice how long Paul stayed at Corinth compared to often hopping around among other towns. Then remember 1 and 2 Corinthians where he wrote such detailed messages to this church. It's a great picture.

Psalms. Isn't it great to know that God is there to help us when our load is heavy? Mine has felt particularly heavy recently and these are hopeful words.

Proverbs. I heard a story about a man who loved to make his neighbors miserable because he was miserable and felt it should be spread around. True story.

And what do you see today? Questions for us?

4 comments:

  1. Psalms today is so beautiful. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Kings – What’s the difference between being “God’s instrument” and “God’s servant”? It seems like Jehu was the latter. What are some things that I can do to be God’s servant? Why did Joash have to be hidden? If the people believed God’s promise that the Messiah would be born through David’s descendants than they had no reason to worry right? I ask this question because it is one that I am plagued with routinely as a Christian. God’s promises are bountiful yet there is always that doubt that lurks in the depths of human nature. (Ch12) Joash seemed to be an effective and good leader. Analogy: Am I a temple workman who needed no accounting of their use of the money, or, am I more like the priests who couldn’t be trusted to handle their funds? Am I being a good steward with my finances?

    Acts – Aquila and Priscilla remind me of my father and mother. Like this biblical couple, my parents have always been a good team and still are. Sam’s message today was similar to this passage in that these two people listened to Paul and learned from his spiritual wisdom. Every time I read about Paul I am humbled by his passion and commitment to his mission. He was so focused and seemed to be so in tune to God’s guidance. What is my ministry in this point of my life? Why isn’t my direction as clear as Paul’s seemed to be? Sam, Your message today answered this to some degree already. Lately I have been focused on my career goals and preparing myself for a more relaxed work load as I get older. Yet, I am adrift in my spiritual ministry. Pray with me that I may be sensitive to God’s still small voice and understand the tasks He has for me at this time in my life. Thank you.

    Psalm – God is my source for all my daily needs. Thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great observation on "instrument" vs. "servant," Luke. I like your insight there.

    Re Joash, remember that faith was very small at that time. Most of us have had moments when we doubted some of God's most precious promises. That was certainly the case. Also, we can look back from our vantage point and see how the promises regarding Jesus turned out. It wasn't nearly that clear to them at the time.

    Your transparency really touched me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete