Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 29

Today's Reading

2 Kings. It is such a temptation to "succeed" by using the methods of the world around us. We do the same kinds of things evil kings did back then: we connive and scheme and work and compromise all to get what we want. It seems easier to do that than to turn our hearts to God. Obviously, it doesn't work and brings destruction in the end. But the temptation is always there.

Acts. The first part of today's reading demonstrates how easy it is for people to latch on to anything they think will bring them money and power. Based on the experiences recorded in Acts, that can include spiritual warfare. However, it's a little hard to stand up against spirits without the real power of Jesus. I smile every time I read about the men running from the house, bruised and naked. Oh, and how about that mob in Ephesus?

Psalms. I find it so easy to put my hope somewhere besides in the Lord. That is, until I realize that nothing and no one else can really help.

Proverbs. God is the source of all wisdom. Walking in wisdom is walking in His ways.

What are your thoughts? Questions?

2 comments:

  1. I think the reign of King Uzziah was most interesting. While he did good, he did not demand that pagan shrines be destroyed. Is halfhearted devotion any kind of devotion at all? Apparently not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, noticed that. In fact, almost all of the kings mentioned in today's reading did good, but did not demand that all of the pagan shrines be destroyed. Such a good lesson for me.

    ReplyDelete