Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21

Today's Reading

2 Kings. Elijah finished his earthly life by continuing to stand against the deception of his generation. When he was taken to heaven, God gave extraordinary power to Elisha as the successor. Remember that Elijah joined Moses and met Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Also, you might be interested that some scholars believe the two witnesses who preach in Jerusalem described in Revelation to be Moses and Elijah.

Acts. Paul was created to be bold in the midst of conflict. Many of the places he went were "disturbed" by the Gospel. Many turned to Christ and many others reacted in anger. You and I were designed by God for specific service, too. It's great joy when we figure out what it is!

Psalms. Made, known and unconditionally loved by God. What a wonder!

Proverbs. Left to my own devices, I am more hopeless than I can imagine!

And what do you see today? Any questions?

3 comments:

  1. Such powerful reading today. The story of Elijah read like a novel. It was so exciting! Today's Psalms were very touching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Kings – The relation between 2 Kings and the world today is uncanny. I read some commentary on 2Kings 1 and it mentioned that true worship of God is rare on the earth today. Question: Is my heart truly devoted to God’s high honor and moral law? It seems like a scary thing to pray for. Where is Ekron today? Who were the “group of prophets from Bethel” and how were they chosen? Elisha’s Request: It was pure. I have to admit that when I first read this I thought Elisha was a pretty pompous dude. But, God granted him his request because his motives were pure.

    Acts – 2 Kings seems to parallel Acts 14 in that God is empowering His messengers to accomplish His work. I often wonder if we as Christians want “power” to do great things so that we can convince people that they need God. Yet, perhaps we just need to worry about planting the seed of Christ and leave the convincing to the Holy Spirit.

    Psalm 139 – Sometimes I don’t want people to get to know me for fear that they will find something about me that they don’t like. This Psalm tells me that God already knows me and He still loves and accepts me. “Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad: for great is your reward in heaven” (Matthew 5:10-12).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luke, I googled "Ekron, Israel" and got a link to a map for it. It's a great way to find places like that.

    The prophets had received the gift of prophecy from God. Their utterances were sometimes unintelligible but they frequently received messages from God's Spirit that they were to pass on.

    Great comments from both Luke and Lara. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete